View Single Post
Old 15-07-2018, 03:22 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Hi All

I thought I would post this here in case someone was curious, or if someone is researching the issue before purchasing or making a similar structure.

I was interested to see how much light was reflected around inside the dome, given it is made of a white, reasonably reflective material. So I used the GoPro on Night Sequence at 20 second exposures and ran some exposures.

The first time was when the moon was at 90% illumination - very near full moon. 20 second exposures for 20 minutes.

The next time was when there was a New Moon. Once again, 20 second exposures but I ran it for 2 hours.

One of the attached images contains the full set. The other with "dark" in the name excludes the last 2 exposures where I shone the torch towards the opening, from about 30 meters away. I wanted to make sure I had a few exposures with some light in them.

The issue is really a non-issue from my point of view. Nice and dark except near Full Moon. I had thought that the starlight would be more apparent on the walls and dome. Also, I came in and out through the door a few times. No problem. I haven't cropped or edited either of the images from StarTrails.

Thanks
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SCP-Moon.jpg)
193.8 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (SCPTrails-Dark.jpg)
192.8 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (SCPTrails-Light.jpg)
154.8 KB36 views