View Single Post
Old 29-10-2016, 08:19 PM
dreamstation (James)

Another cleaning eyepieces thread

Now I understand that most people will tell you that you probably don't need to clean them, and I fully agree, but I had one particular eyepiece that had an unknown drop of residue right in the middle of the glass. Light from bright objects would scatter and it made the eyepiece very difficult to use. It is my most used eyepiece so something had to be done.

Having read pretty much every thread on this particular topic on both IIS and several other Astronomy forums as well as several 'how to' guides on what to do and what not to do, I decided to give it a go recently. My problem is, even after thoroughly researching the topic for several weeks psyching myself up to it, I've somehow managed to stuff it up.

I've managed to remove the residue that was causing the original problem quite successfully using some isopropanol and the eyepiece works well again in the telescope but inspecting the glass with the eyepiece in hand reveals a film of something else over the entire surface. It doesn't appear to affect it's use but it's really annoying me and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. It's almost as if the isopropanol has left behind some residue but I was under the impression it shouldn't do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on? Thanks.