View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Chris.B (Christopher)

Just love the 6D, novice astrophotographer.

Despite having had my 6D for a few months I only managed to get a trip to LMDSS Heathcote on Monday night.

I set up the 10" LX200 on the super wedge and mounted the camera on top. The digital level was brilliant for getting it very close to alignment.
Despite issues with goto not working(another issue) the hand control worked fine and tracking seemed pretty good. I'll learn to drift align one day to get it spot on. 2-3 miutes appear to have little to no drift.

With the 6d and 24-105L ready I selected the cetre spot and pointed it at a visible star. the camera auto focussed, changed to MF to keep it there and job done. With the 40D and film it was masks trial shots blow up not not quite there ajust do it again, etc etc. Changing focal length and lenses just back to AF and auto focus again on any star.

I have blown shots right up and stars are sharp. I love it.
I now have to get a routine and start doing all this properly. In the past my astro photography has been hit and miss. this makes it a lot simpler and I can spend more time taking shots.

Yes it will be back to masks etc when I go back to through the scope, but I'm pretty happy with wider fields at present.

The low light pulling power of this camera compared to the 40D is amazing. Love it.

A few of the the single shots i have done a quick play with iview and are at the link below. Need to stack and process when I get time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cboylen...7637362825943/

Other issues I noted was the lack of stability in the mount and wedge. touch the camera and the vibration takes a while to die out, but it is start.