View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 PM
redbeard (Damien)

HI again to all,
Sorry about the late reply.
I've added some pics to show what I've done.

How it works is fairly simple:
With the switch in the manual position, the unit will use presets that have been pre designated. In one of the photos, you can see the heater settings can be set for each channel and each channel has 4 heater settings that can be selected by using the small push button. These settings get downloaded and saved in the eeprom.

By pressing this button in, it will cycle through the different heat settings and beep and flash to let you know which setting has been selected. 1 flash and beep for level 1, keep holding the button in,,,2 flash and beeps for Level 2 .......etc. When using the software, it will display the selected settings. The unit does not need the software to run, it's stand alone, but the software is a bonus.

When the switch is in automatic mode, the unit just works and uses the sensors to detect the ambient temp, RH, and heater temperatures to set the heater output PWM. My favorite setting.

The software is fairly straight forward in respect to features, and multiple files can be saved with different settings, (perhaps for different locations).
The unit is very light itself which is great for mounting on the telescope tube.

You can use any software to read in the values as the data is simple and easily imported.

The Humidity/temp sensor on the top, I just wrapped white electrical tape around it for a little protection.

There are a few prototype holes drilled where they should not be, lol.
The centre connection on the front has 2 RCA connectors for the dew heaters and the central connector is for power. I love these power connectors and try to fit to all my gear as I have several 5 amp power supplies with the same mating connectors. The 2 LED's below this are the indicators.

The rear connections are for the 2 temp sensors with the USB in the middle. Below the USB is the small button for selection and the switch below that to select modes. Always use a fuse somewhere logical in the power feed. I have an inline one I use, not shown.

I use DEW NOT heaters as they are reasonably priced and work well.
The photos show the software, (excuse my galaxy pic, couldn't help myself), in operation as well as the settings form.

I've really appreciated reading about your project and I'm guessing you got a buzz when it was working as I did. This is fun stuff.

There is also another guy here on IIS, (Garbz), who has also built an amazing all things device. Look it up. He really knows what he is doing and helped me with some advice on saving memory!

Cheers,
Damien.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (p3.jpg)
18.7 KB532 views
Click for full-size image (p4.jpg)
37.0 KB503 views
Click for full-size image (p5.jpg)
36.9 KB464 views
Click for full-size image (pp1.jpg)
149.2 KB488 views
Click for full-size image (pp2.jpg)
147.6 KB485 views
Click for full-size image (pp3.jpg)
137.4 KB459 views
Click for full-size image (pp4.jpg)
171.1 KB536 views
Click for full-size image (pp5.jpg)
163.4 KB417 views

Last edited by redbeard; 03-05-2016 at 11:57 PM.