View Single Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:28 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Phil,

Yes, that term CH was very worrying, but I think the problem has been resolved without making any changes whatsoever to my OTA.

Here is what I think has gone wrong for me. I found a statement in the T-Point manual that indicated that the software must distinguish between the terms HA and CH, and that these terms can become confused as they are both east west shifts.

Firstly, I made a stupid error in using my camera and automated T-Point. I basically synched and then took a large run that initially collected points fairly low to the west. I was also unaware that the Ascom driver for my camera has a serious bug in that it does not bin 2x2 properly. It provides just the upper left quadrant of a 1x1 binned image, so in my theory, this introduced an error that looks like the OTA is not perpendicular to the DEC axis.

In any case, whether my theory is right or wrong, I have redone the PA last night and thus far my results are very promising! I had to give up before totally finishing because it was late and I was freezing, but my results so far without super model are MA= 22.3 arcsec, ME = 135.6 (lower axis .8 tics). With the super model MA = 0, ME= 135.9 (lower .8 tics). Best of all in both models the term CH = 0!!!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (May22 T-Point super model terms.jpg)
188.7 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (May22 T-Point PA before super model.jpg)
182.6 KB20 views