View Single Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:51 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Thanks Brendan and Phil,

I will try rotating the camera!

Phil, tracking was certainly "on!" I'm also totally surprised to see that your polar alignment is at least as good if not better than mine, and that you got there so quickly. I've been chasing this down for many nights so experience counts for a lot!

I'm really curious now to figure out if my CCD might have some tilt. A few weeeks ago I was using a 2" extension on the feather touch focuser to reach focus. It was just an inexpensive York Optics one with a single set screw. After nearly having the camera fall off (yikes) I looked into a more secure way to couple the camera and came up with the Baader. But, the Baader is much shorter requiring the focser to use nearly the full travel to get to focus. I wonder if the draw tube might be sagging? I know the FT focuser is highly regarded so that would be a surprising result perhaps. I looked at some older images taken with the 2" extension tube and I don't see the distortion over the field. I hope this isn't the cause because the Baader was really expensive and I had to source it in Germany. If I get rid of it I'm back to square one.

Peter