Thread: New COMA Killer
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:44 AM
JA

New COMA Killer

Hi Folks,

I hope everyone is happy and well. For your interest I've put together a comparison of the various "standard" focal length lenses for full frame use. As you can imagine there are many possible entrants and so to keep things manageable I've opted for 8 lenses in the 35 to 50mm focal length range, from Zeiss, Sigma, Canon and Nikon.

Notably there are a few lenses that I didn't include, because the test is not yet available on Lenstip and/or there are limits to how much I can easily compose as windows on a double monitor layout and maintain good resolution. The focus here is on this focal length range for sharpness and low coma performance.

The contestants are:
  1. Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35 mm f/1.4 ZE/ZF.2
  2. Carl Zeiss Milvus 50 mm f/1.4
  3. Carl Zeiss Otus 55 mm f/1.4 ZE/ZF.2
  4. Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 DG HSM
  5. Sigma A 40 mm f/1.4 DG HSM
  6. Sigma A 50 mm f/1.4 DG HSM
  7. Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM
  8. Nikon Nikkor AF-S 50 mm f/1.4G

I would have liked to also include the new Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 and new Nikkor Z standard lens for the Z6 and Z7 which is reputed to be an excellent performer for sharpness and coma along with one of the Sony normal lenses and a Samyang 35mm. There was either no data available or not enough space and/or these lenses were tested on a much higher resolution sensor, which will obviate the resolution MTF50 results comparison somewhat. As it stands the lenses included in the comparison were tested on either a Nikon D3x or Canon 5D MarkIII so the results are comparable.

If you have a double monitor or large format monitor open the image full screen, but even then it suffers from JPEG and forum compression.

Choose your new COMA killer !
Also look at the sharpness data (MTF50) with the lenses wide open. It is quite telling.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Standard Lens Comparison -Zeiss-Sigma-Canon-Nikon.jpg)
235.3 KB259 views

Last edited by JA; 12-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.