View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 04:17 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A KAF16200 is APS sized so about 3/4 of a 11002 but that may take the pressure off the focuser in terms of weight etc. Moravian sell one with a filter wheel and an OAG for about Euro $3400.

As far as read noise goes the KAF16200 is very low read noise compared to other Kodak sensors around 8 electrons for the Moravian and down to 6 for the FLI Microline version.
Heh, that's what started this thread - it was what I was initially considering a change to from the ST-8XE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Full frame sensors like KAI11002, KAI 29050, KAF16000, KAF16070 are all going to do require bigger focusers, field flatteners and stronger adapters otherwise you will get vignetting, coma in the corners and flexure.
Before I switched to CCD, I was using a full-frame DSLR (Canon 6D) and had sorted out the field flattener - still had some vignetting though, but it wasn't much.

However, the Canon 6D was very lightweight, much less than the monster cooled CCDs! So, yes, I'm not really surprised by needing a better focuser - it was more I had forgotten that I'd need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I ASI1600 might suit your setup. Brand new, lots of good reports, low cost compared to the 8300, but far less noise and it is super sensitive. It uses a Panasonic chip and is likely to be the first of the next generation sCMOS cameras.
I've been reading some of the threads over on CloudyNights. It looks very interesting and quite promising. I'll be watching what comes of it all over the next few months.

The whole CMOS potential is another reason I'm not concerned about waiting for a while. It could be a significant disruptive change that might be worth jumping onboard. I'm hoping more choices become available too.