View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Surprise! I was greeted with a clear night yesterday, the very day you posted this list. Transparency was 9/10 but seeing perhaps 6/10 at best. So I was not very hopeful of completing the list.

Delta Corvi@ 62X (stars not quite tight focused points) - wide uneven pair easily seen. There is definitely a clear colour contrast between the white primary and the faint secondary, but I could not settle on the colour for the secondary and simply recorded it as a pale smokey white.

HD109545 @ 62X (stars not quite tight focused points) - pale yellow/white primary forms the tip of a very interesting symmetrical asterism of six stars with a striking resemblance to the Eiffel Tower. The 15th mag companion was well out of reach. The C&D companions you listed have me confused. The magnitudes seem to correspond to the two stars that form the first level of the “Eiffel Tower”. I need to revisit this target on a night of better seeing.

VV Corvi at 100X - very attractive, almost equal yellow pair with the very faint well separated C companion completing the trio.

As per your suggestion, I took a quick detour to The Sombrero in Virgo. Very nice as usual. That motivated me to flick over to the Antennae Galaxy back in Corvus. Again, very attractive with glimpses of the irregular structure in moments of better seeing. The seeing was improving with time.

HD105590 @ 100X - identified the two brighter stars and the much fainter this star. However, ....

A band of distinctly warmer air arrived without notice and within a matter of minutes the clear sky was completely clouded out.

... to be continued.