View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Cosmic (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Could be both those issues. If the worm was binding as it was tight and the load heavy then the grub screw could not have enough bite on the shaft.

You should carefully read the instructions that comes with the kit, and test the mount through a full 360 on both axes unloaded during the day . You can disable the limits in the handset to allow this. If there are any noisy parts in the movement then you have binding and you need to check and adjust the worm and belt tension. So original problems that prior to belt upgrade might still be there and no fault of the upgrade.

If the kit instructions as mine do say test by turning by hand and you can not turn by hand , you may have a problem with the worm or belt tension . Take off the cover and post an image.

My rowan belt drive worked a treat and my guiding was great. At 0.6 error. But then noisy slewing after several months ( now I could hear it) alerted me that the worm needed maintenance and adjustment. Works even better now.
I heard tightening down the casing hard can apply added pressure to the worm engagement as well. I do make sure its tight So whilst the case is disengaged as much as it can ill try spin the worm by itself off the RA ring gear. If there is a big difference I’ll have to look at the belt/clamping pressure and meshing applied ect. From what I understand you should be able to turn the worm with your fingers from a few sources on the www. So at sidereal mode the power is too weak and it just hitting a sticking point…bugger. Probably explains the sawtooth spikes on the phd 2 as well. I'll have a good look tonight and hopefully come to a resolution. It has to be a tension thing, at least that’s what seems to be the most logical thing.
On a side note I am meticulous when it comes to fasteners and making sure things are tight. At.9 x speed it’s all good for 360 for both RA and DEC it’s only in sidereal mode it jams up every now and then. I guess at that power (.9 speed) it literally powers through any sticky points.