View Single Post
Old 15-02-2010, 01:18 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Interesting.. Thanks for the comments Mark.. I was under the impressions from the website that the OAG does support rotating the guider independently of the imaging camera... I was aware of the mirror being smaller than the QHY5 sensor, however I figured better to have less area, but more usable stars.. Currently, about 40% of my sensor is getting useless stars anyway, so the difference is minimal really.. As for focusing, the Lumicon OAG has no focusing mechanisim at all... I just manually pull the QHY5 outwards in the assembly and tighten the grub screw, have a look at the screen to judge the focus, manually move it a little more etc... I did get a parfocalizing ring so now I have the correct focus position locked in place..

The upside is that with the super short focal length of my setup, I rarely rotate my guider anyway (not that the lumicon one supports rotation of the guider) But I've never had to move mine in order to find a guide star.. Shame you live ~3700km away... Would love to have a play with the TSOAG9 and compare it to the other OAGs I've have / still have..