Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Can you provide a link to this firmware update Lewis? Is it an ASCOM driver?

I don't have an EQ mount, but I understand EQMOD provides a range of features than the handset alone doesn't.

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I am surprised no one is trying this, because the latest Synscan firmware allows direct PC control through the handset, yet everyone seems hung up on direct without hand controller as intermediary. I believe this is why Skywatcher did the latest firmware in the first place.

PC -> USB to serial converter -> serial to RJ45 into handcontroller, then handcontroller to mount as usual. Just what Skywatcher says to do. No need for a shoestring converter etc.
Hi David and Lewis,

The SynScan hand controller has always had the PC Direct capability this is not new, however EQMod describes this as a testing method rather than a reliable end solution. This is because the SYnScan hand controller takes over some of the control of the mounts actions.

I believe you can still achieve most if not all functions of EQMod via the hand controller method however this has proven in the past to lock up or cause other issues hence the desire for most people to want a direct connection to the mount.

At this stage EQMod would like to see a connection ova the hand controller first to ascertain if the mount can be controlled via a PC without any coding changes required, in order to connect directly to the mount this will take longer and potentially requires a new TTL adaptor that sends the signal on 3.3 volts instead of the existing 5 volts setup of the EQ5/EQ6.

I would encourage anyone that has an EQ8 mount to connect it up via the hand controller and post their results in the EQMod forum or here so next steps can be looked at.

Cheers

Anthony