View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Raw files have no colour profile, that's one of the biggest advantages of shooting raw, the ability to choose colour space at any time.

As far as I know you can't just swap colour space on a JPG file, you need to convert using a suitable tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Actually, they have a camera specific colour profile. When you choose a colour space you are doing a conversion from the camera specific space to the new one.
Almost right, just to extend this you can not ever swap colour spaces. You can only convert. There's no reason you can't do this with a JPEG just like you can with a RAW. Any colour managed program does this on the fly. If I open a JPEG in Photoshop then Photoshop will in realtime convert the colours to my monitor profile which it gets from the Windows settings. If I soft proof to a printer it will convert the JPEG to the printer profile and then back to the monitor profile allowing me to see the results of my printer's smaller colourspace will have on my colours.

Same with RAW. If I open a RAW file in Lightroom it will convert the RAW data to MelissaRGB (Lightroom's internal profile) using the Adobe DNG Profile for my camera, and then convert the resulting image to my monitor profile (in that respect the conversion to MelissaRGB is done once, whereas the conversion to my monitor profile is realitime).