Thread: Ultimate Geek
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
Yep, explosives at 14, still geeky with 43 music industry designs, 2 trademarks (my last name) and 1 patent.
Astronomy, watch collecting........total geek LOL
Although I didn't make explosives, I did did get to play around with explosives and actually got to blow stuff up, legally. That was fun, even if a little dangerous. I got my explosives licence when I was 18, and held it for many years until I let it lapse in 2010. I only got out of this job because I nearly got blown up Actually, that isn't the only reason, but it sounds cool. It was a close call though, and one of many in my life.

I left to do an apprenticeship and became a 1st Class Machinist instead. This was a great job too, I even built an equatorial mount, among other things, e.g. a tangential assembly for a guidescope. I didn't even have to buy any materials, apart from some 3/16" thick roller thrust washers that I used on both axis, it was so smooth, in fact, too smooth and made balancing difficult. I was allowed to use any scrap pieces and all machinery, as long as it was in my own time. I also made a number of tools that I still use today.

I even built a fine focus control for my R&P focuser. Actually, I used a mechanism out of an old high end microscope and it worked a treat, although it was a little bit too fine. A few years later I modified a small plaetary set to do the same thing. And that was in 70's, so nothing is really new. I just wish I had access to that type of equipment now.

I left that trade to take on a diverse range of roles, over the years, along with further studies. I mostly worked in technical and management roles. I am now involved in an education support role, which I love doing. And better yet, it is only part time. Bugger workin' full time

Cheers Peter

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 06-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.