Thread: 10 or 12" Dob?
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:46 PM
jackenau

Hi Mike.B.

Just had a quick read through the thread. I gathered you are unsure as to whether to go with 10" dob or 12" dob. I had that same problem over a year ago. I suppose it depends on your location, whether or not you want to transport it to other sites, your means of transportation (size of scope comes into play here), viewing expectations, abilty to physically handle (move the scope around).
At the time, I just wanted to see as much as I could and as clear as I could and was really unsure as to what I could view.(From the many posts on the forum, I settled on a dob, based on price, expected viewing of objects and in my opinion "if I was not happy with it, I would be able to readilly off-load it to someone else").

Viewing this forum has been of great assistance in pointing me in the right direction as to what to look for as well as expectation of what it is going to look like when I view it. (I think too many people over expect what they are going to view). Just an observation though.

I have the 12" basic model, and at the time went for the best bang for bucks ideaology. I can't say that I am dissapointed at all (apart from the fact they came down in price shortly after my purchase, but that will happen with anything). No fan, no crayford focusser.

Balancing has never been a problem, and I do have a 35mm Panoptic which is quite beefy and a couple of smaller Naglers, as well as the 2" gso's which are equally heavy. I rarely have the springs on the sides connected at all and this seldom has caused a problem with balancing, if so I just have to quickly hook up one, or both of the springs. Moreso I do not hook up the springs as they sometimes creak and I don't want to annoy the neighbours, (they complain about hearing strange noises in the night).

So, if you are going to use it in your own backyard, not going to transport it around too much (not that this is a real issue if you are fit and you have suitable sized vehicle), and am after views based on "you want to see as much as you can for the best $$$" go for the biggest aperture you can afford.

I suppose it all comes down to what you can afford and what you expect/want to see.

Nothing wrong with the 8" or 10" dobs though.

Sure there are other scopes, apart from the dobs, but value for $$ and aperture, the dob has got to be a good option.

Just my two cents worth.

Ken M