View Single Post
Old 29-11-2012, 06:04 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

BOB's LOOKOUT for the eclipse

There has been some comments about what happened at Bob's lookout during the eclipse.
One person told me that:
"police did not make any serious attempt to close Bob's Lookout, despite that clearly being advertised as 'to be closed' beforehand and used for emergency services staging (none of which was visible inland except at Palmer River Roadhouse). Apparently they turned up at Bob's Lookout an hour or so before the eclipse and their half-hearted attempt to move people on at that point was quickly laughed out of town (they then just tried to stop people who parked where they were blocking the highway)"
When I queried this with the police superintendent today I was told that was not correct and that Bob's lookout was barricaded off at 9PM the previous evening, that a couple of cars parked there were moved on and it remained closed.
Can I please have any first hand reports from anyone who actually observed from Bob's lookout or who drove past after 9pm the evening before so that I can establish what actually happened.
I need to be sure that what I put in the eclipse wrapup report is correct. Any photos of the area would of course be especially valuable.
Thanks & regards,
Terry