View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
astrospotter (Mark)

The Pals are illusive at best

Nice read on the OR Paddy (as usual).

One goal I have had this year (and the last 2 years) has been to attempt to complete the Pal observations in my 18" dob. Pal 15 which is the last Pal of the 15 that I feel 'compelled' to view (somehow) in my 18" scope I feel I may have to say I was unable to see. I certainly was unable to absolutely with certainty say it was viewed. I should say several other pals were very close to the limits but with those I felt certain enough to claim them even though some were down in the 20-30% viewable with averted and scope movement sort of case. I find scope movement really can add that extra edge on the limit.

I can still not say any definite sighting on Pal 15 and I try very hard to not let my averted imagination take hold. This last month brought me to an 8000 foot mountain in 21.74 type SQM skies on a very good night of seeing.

I shrouded my head and closed my eyes for 15-20 minutes (even after already being quite dark adapted by the way).

Still all I can claim is I 'kinda sorta maybe' detected that nasty Pal 15. I am going to leave it at that and not claim it but it was so awfully close I could almost taste it (in a manner of speaking).

so yes, those Pal globs are illusive even in 18" dob on an extremely good night.

I think I'll have to wait and view it in some larger scope like maybe a 24" might do it with confirmed certainty.