View Single Post
Old 22-06-2011, 10:20 PM
binofied

Thanks for all the great replies, probably the 12.5CDK is the one that appeals most, known company, easy collimation and good quality. Read a few reviews of people having issues with the very fast ASA's as far as getting the camera square and collimation issues. Buying a Meade in NZ is ridiculous the local agents give zero backup and charge like mad for average equipment. I will never by Meade again.

As for the GSO the main negatives seem to be the focuser which is solvable and adaptors to get the CCD to flattener spacing correct and solidly mounting such a long image chain. I understand the adaptor/ extension tubes needed are not off the shelf items? Also collimation it seems may not be as easy as I thought. Solidly mounted ali dovetail plates on the Carbon fibre tube is also a complaint, again Planewave solved this by a simple slip joint, can't see why I can't. I haven't heard anyone say the GSO optics are below average?

I know I did ask about the best possible options, the question then is, can you make a cheap GSO telescope work wonders given a modest extra investment in focusers and adaptors or is just paying double the price for top quality gear the best road to travel.