View Single Post
Old 16-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I was not sure about Soligor, the reports on web were not helpful (artistic-poetic language used to describe basic things about lens), so I went for Canon (which I know is good.. see here: http://astroanarchy.blogspot.com/sea...0f2.8%20images)

I also can not complain much about my Tair-11A, t is VERY sharp in the centre but shows a bit of coma at corners.
The one I got was quite cheap and in perfect condition .... it's an excellent fixed focal length fast telephot lens .... I'm very pleased with it , buggerall aberration even on bright objects, sharp distortion free stars edge to edge and very good mechanical actions .... I really like it , and had it been a dud .... not much money down the tube and I would have sold it to someone else via Ebay who wasn't interested in astroimaging.
They don't come up on Ebay very often .... I guess most the owners of the Soligor 135mm f2 like them heaps and don't want to part with them.

I also got a Soligor 200mm f2.8 (OM bayonet) that seems to have been dropped or had a hard hit .... no damage to the lenses (they are clean , and defect free from what I can see) , but I suspect an element may bef a tad out of collimation .... stars have a strange aberration (I thought at first it was dew on the lens , but it's always there when I use it for astroimaging , normal photpgraphy doesn't seem to be effected , images are sharp and look OK ??? ???, cost me buggerall on Ebay ,
I thought it may have been the OM-EOS(EF) adapter (but not sure now).
Not ready to ditch it yet , wouldn't mind getting hold of another and comparing . Not that I need another 200mm lens , already have the Soligor 135mm f2 (+ FD-EF adapter) .

Wouldn't mind getting a Soligor 135mm f2 with OM mount. (the adapter has no optics (so is 1x)) , that would be a nice lens.

I'm also a Tamron LD adaptall convert .... got a LD SP 300mm f2.8 adaptall and I'm extremely impressed with it , I had a custom made adaptall - EF bayonet made for it (chap in Italy) and it's proven excellent for astroimaging .... pin point stars edge to edge and no aberrations or distortions ....

Sigma APO zooms are nice too.... I've a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 APO (the earlier model for EF) and it produces pin point stars edge to edge and little distortion (I can't see it) even wide open. But I didn't really buy it astroimaging, it's in my walk about kit.