View Single Post
Old 15-03-2009, 10:37 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Sounds like you are off to a good start Wade but dont fall into the trap of expecting to see through your scope everything as big or as bright as the bigger scopes. eg: look at this site for comparison for Saturn through different size scopes.

http://astronomy.concreteairship.com...turnseeing.htm

With the eyepieces I expect you mean 10mm and 25mm (not X) these no's should be on the barrel. That would give you: 36X for the 25mm and 90X for the 10mm and 2X these figures with the barlow (72X and 180X respectivly). eg: focal lenght/eyepiece mm. X2 with barlow.

Most of my viewing is done in these magnification ranges, the differance is that my 200mm mirror gathers much more light. The 25mm is good for objects needing a wider field of view (FOV) such as star clusters, nebular and galaxies, wereas the 10mm and barlow would be better for planets and the moon. Also dont forget comets with the 25mm.

Have a go at Omega centauri, globular and the Eta carina nebula both in the region of Crux. They will blow you away and are naked eye from darker sites!

Play around with the eyepieces and barlow in different combanations and above all HAVE FUN!!