View Single Post
Old 15-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Darth Wader (Wade)
Chronic aperture fever

Cheers for the warm welcome fellas! Wow, another Wade! That doesn't happen too often (twice in my life, in fact)!

I've got a Skywatcher 70x900, it's an equatorial mount (not sure which kind though). I haven't polar aligned it because I don't use it to track, I'm just basically pointing it at what I want to see for now. I've been looking at the moon at lot lately but since I went to the Macarthur Astro night last Saturday I've wanted to have a look at Saturn through my scope. I got to see the M42 nebula the other night which still looked great in my little scope even after I viewed it for the first time through an 8" dob at the open night! Hoping to point the scope toward Saturn tonight. I also plan to get up pretty early one morning in the hope of seeing Jupiter before dawn.

My first question I guess would be about eyepieces. I have a 10x and a 25x as well as a barlow lens. The 10x is good for what I've been viewing but the 25x is really disappointing. Each viewing seems to be a trial-and-error affair involving much swapping of eyepieces and gnashing of teeth. Where should I go from here? I'm still iffy on magnification so I'm not sure what I should do next.

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Darth Wader; 15-03-2009 at 04:54 PM.