View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
bojan
amateur

The problem with latitude screws (especially back one) is that they are not ending perpendicular to the surface of internal post which they are supposed to hold in place. The front one is not loaded much (for our latitudes that is.. because the the centre of gravity is well in front of the vertical axis of the mount. It has to be tightened a bit just to keep the whole thing not moving, but in principle we could live without one)... (see drawing attached).
The result of this is the screw is skewed and the thread is under stress downwards (looking from inside of mount), which results in bending or even damaging thread(s) as a worst case.

My solution to this problem-issue was two-fold:
- Replaced original screws with M10 high tension screws (shortened such that they do not protrude more than 15mm from the mount, I do not intend to travel to the equator or Pole so I do not need them to be un-necessary long.
- I added counter nuts and spring-loaded washers, which hold the screw perpendicular into its threaded hole.
- Installed high sensitivity bubble-level (instead of crappy one, supplied by Sinta), so that I adjusted the screws only once. From now on the latitude I adjust by levelling the whole thing with bubble-level, by inserting plastic wedges under two legs (those things that go under the door to keep them open), or simply by placing the mount always in the same place, in the three water-pipe tubes hammered into the ground (later I plan to do it properly by making three concrete slabs, one for each leg.. before I build the concrete pier.
There is no need to align the mount every evening if I use the same observing spot (in the corner of my backyard). Small errors in alignment from night to night (which are smaller than overall PE BTW) will be taken care of by auto-guiding anyway.

EDIT:
At some stage I will re-design the elevation mechanism by welding much thicker post. This will inevitably reduce the mount ability to adjust for any latitude.. but this is not important at all.
Also, I will use M12 screws, driven into steel threaded nuts, inserted from inside of mount, so that there will be no thread into aluminium (very bad idea, Sinta..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen_01_ 2009-01-12 18.45.jpg)
66.6 KB201 views
Click for full-size image (Screen_03_ 2009-01-12 19.13.jpg)
33.0 KB195 views

Last edited by bojan; 12-01-2009 at 07:30 PM.