View Single Post
Old 27-12-2008, 03:47 AM
darkskybondi

Great advice guys. I think all that needs to be said has been said. I viewed through 8" and 9" scopes on EQ mounts tonight in Sydney's north and the Orion nebula was dark but pretty. I'd like more brightness out of mine and therefore to check out a 10" and 12" before I buy!

I take you point, Chris, but as much as I want to run out and buy one, I'd prefer to lurk at a couple more viewing sessions. My main interest is in DSOs and the forums are telling me the 12" really is the aperture that starts to show some real detail on them. Again - I have to look through a few more scopes before I decide!

Thanks again for all your thoughts, guys, and I will let you know what I decide!

- DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Hi DSB,

With all you have to consider, your best bet is the SW880 10 inch SOLID tube dobsonian, from York Optical, order it online (and get the 20% discount for IIS members at that price bracket)

Cost? $799 - 20% = $639.20

Portable enough, large enough aperture, quality scope, unbeatable price at the moment.

As I mentioned to you in a PM, I would have no problem lugging the 12" SW980 around as I am over 6 foot 8, but for you, the SW880 is the best bet.

Now, stop dilly dallying around and go and buy it already! At this rate I will have my 12" before you!

Cheers

Chris