View Single Post
Old 23-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
bob,
Polar alignment has nothing to do with it. If your polar alignment and mount gears were perfect you would not need guiding. If I turned my mount arse about and guided on a star, the scope would stick to the star regardless of tripod placement. However, the less corrections the better so accurate polar is good.
Thanks Robin, well in that case mine isn't working, cos even with a fair start on polar alignment it never follows the star. Just a brief second or so it tries to calibrate, goes from yellow to green cross-hairs, loses it, sometimes tries again, but you can see the star never ceases in it"s steady one direction of drift.

Maybe with my setup connected via ascom guiding via the autostar controller with delay etc, and unknown slewing pulse effect etc, that getting the star reasonably stable to start tracking is more important than with your HEQ5 which you'd be guiding diretly via the ST4 port.. grasping at straws here...

Do you know of any way that will allow me to test whether the PC is actually sending pulses to the mount and that the mount understands them.