View Single Post
Old 27-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Ingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyh View Post
I have been reading this thread ever since my return from holidays and was myself thinking of getting a ebay cheapy....but after all the bad things I have heard I don`t think I will bother..
Does anyone recommend any sellers in Auzz? Are the Andrews ones what they are quoted at and good brand name?
One thing I have noticed also is the beam widths are different with lots of them? Would a 5mw with a .8mm beam be brighter than a 10mw with a 1.5mm beam? and the quoted rad value is it better the lower it is?
I need it to work under dark and also clear air as I don`t have too much pollution and haze at home so still wondering if a good 5mw would be plenty?

Cheers Gary
A 5mW with a .8mm beam will be brighter than a 1.5mm beam. There is more light condensed into an area, where 1.5mm is more spread out. Also a thinner more focused beam is better for burning.

mRad is milliradius and that shows you divergence. The lower the number, the less the beam spreads in distance. Usually, you'll get <1.2mRad.

20mW is more than enough for astronomy, but if you want something to stand out and make other astronomers jealous/mad, check out lucentoptics.com, they'll ship anywhere