Thread: SN2024ggi
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2024, 09:10 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

Thanks Glen and Steve(Bodon) for your encouragement.

Joel , well done with your image.

Thanks Paul and Steve(Astroviking) for your comments. It is a worthwhile target and easy to get. You can see the supernova in each individual image.

Thanks Dunk. Your image was an excellent inspiration. There was a bit more detail in the galaxy before I had to reduce it to the 200KB to get it on IIS. Adding the indicator line took another 60KB of data off. On my original photo in tif format I can see a bit more of the outer arms.
I probably can’t get much more of the outer arms with my camera in the city. But ISS members with astro cameras may be able to do a fair bit better.

The supernova itself is a pleasing sky-blue colour. I can make this out in my original photo and I will attach another 200k image here without the indicator line to see if it shows up. I can also see this blue colour in Dunk’s image in the Deep Space section.

I think this sky-blue colour would make this supernova a good target for those who can do spectroscopy and I would be keen to see their results.

It’s an interesting galaxy , being very flat with little central bulge. It apparently has 3 black holes in the centre.

I read somewhere that a Supernova this close (23 million light years!) only comes up about once a decade.

Best of luck with your images, Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SN2024ggi reduced b.jpg)
199.9 KB22 views