View Single Post
Old 06-04-2024, 12:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
That’s really nice Martin. There’s just so much in our beautiful Carina there’s always something new to find. I love the small ‘tower’ laying horizontal in the upper third, and some other very interesting detail a little below that as well. It’s a couple of years I think since I’ve imaged carina, I’m staring to get the itch tho!

Just a random question- your full size image on Astrobin is only 1.5mb. I would have thought you’d still be loosing some resolution at that size?
Thanks Dave,
Yeh Carina is full of unexplored wonders , your big rig would uncover some interesting details.
After 71% binning and cropping the edges my images usually end up around 4200 x 2700 pixels ready for processing ( sensor is 6248 x 4176 or 26Megapixel ) My image scale is 0.77 arc sec per pixel on the 8” and the 10” down south is 0.62 arc sec per pixel so I’ve got some oversampling to play with in respect to software binning in Startools which trades “wasted” resolution for noise reduction ie improved SNR . Startools has scalable binning not the old 2x2 or 4x4 etc… you can Bin at any percentage you wish based on your sampling.
Image sizes for range from 1MB to 1.8MB , I don’t think I’ve ever had a 2MB final image. My PC would be too slow with images sizes bigger than 2MB and of course a lot noisier too.
The amount of noise to mitigate varies from image to image but does reduce your image size in ST.
To improve res , I just have to collect more good data which never fails.

Cheers
Martin