View Single Post
Old 01-01-2024, 02:16 PM
ObservingBee (Benji)

Hello and first speedbreaker

Hi everyone,

This is Benji. I am a new member. This is my first post here and I did try to read through some of the sticky topics and normal ones in the Beginner forum to see if I can find a relevant post - my question could be stupid so I apologise in advance but I also know this is probably the best place where I can get genuine unbiased advice.

I have been doing photography for a while now with landscapes and events so I know the fundamentals - or so I thought before I purchased my Saxon 150/750 on an eq3 mount as I was fascinated by celestial object photographs that people have been sharing on various social handles. I wanted to try and see if I could do it.

These are some details which may help assess my current situation :

I am in Victoria, light pollution rating Bortle 6.
I have polar aligned the scope to the South Celestial Pole and have aligned the viewing scope and the telescope .
Collimation might be very slightly off but I am working on it.
I have a T ring and the 1.25” nosepiece for my D 750 to go into the focused but I did read that due to enhanced distance from the focal plane with this setup, my camera may not acquire focus. I searched on YouTube and saw an individual recommending to take the thread part of the focuser off and put the T ring directly screwed into it to reduce the distance between focal plane and sensor ( I hope I am using correct terminology here). With this setup I can achieve perfect focus during daytime with my camera. At night, when I use the camera in live view and zoom right in, I can see stars and they look ok. But when I take long e posters say around 10-30 sec across ISO range 800-3200, I get nothing but a gray blob and an imprint of my front assembly in the picture. I have attached a sample picture - I had two thoughts : light pollution or incorrect settings. But I cannot work out why I see that imprint in the photos. The moon rises pretty late so I was trying to point at Carina yesterday.

Any guidance you can offer will help me focus more on my skills and not be disheartened so early on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4877.jpg)
187.3 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4876.jpg)
190.8 KB86 views