Thread: PHD2 guiding
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2023, 08:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
1. How does one adjust the green box to be larger when selecting a guide star?

2. Should one do a reset Guide calc. when near or on the Eq. -45 Deg. south and close to pole?
Hmm……
I’m not quite sure why your asking those specific questions
Are you using the latest version of PHD2 ?
Download the latest version 2.6.11 dev6 then the Wizard will pop up and guide you through the whole program from start to finish including capturing a dark library, calibration , and guiding , the whole shabang.
Selecting guide stars is a thing of the past.
PHD2 has Multistar guiding , Calibration assistant , Guiding Assistant and so on
It’s really “Push Here Dummy” ( PHD 2 ) now a vast improvement on a few years ago !!
Some Prerequisites…..
Use a mono guide camera eg: ZWO120MM avoid colour cameras if possible
Try and get your guide camera to imaging camera pixel scale ratio ( image scale ratio ) around 4:1 but not critical.
Set up guide camera for Ascom pulse guiding ie : guide camera cabled directly to PC / Laptop ( not the old ST4 where camera was connected to mount )
Polar align to at least a few arc minutes , no need for sub arc min PA
Focus your guide scope / camera using the Star profile tool which can be set up on the main screen and pick a single star which is not too bright day mag 2 or mag 3.
Ascom pulse guiding will work anywhere in the night sky ( either side of the meridians as well ) provided you have a good calibration and save it , and of course your not trying to guide at super low altitudes like 15 or 20 degrees.
The new “Calibration Assistant” will help and guide you to achieve and save a good calibration ( I’ve used the same calibration for a year or more thanks to Ascom pulse guiding set up )
The new Guiding Assistant will help you fine tune or iron out issues that may arise in your guiding.
The new Version 2.6.11 Dev 6 user manual is excellent !!!
I could suggest many other cross checks , do’s and don’t’s but that will do for the moment
Hope the above helps
Clear Skies
Martin