Thread: Zwo v qhy
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 09:15 AM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
The LGA or land grid array of the industrial grade IMX455 sensors is ceramic. The consumer grade is resin/plastic.

The higher thermal stability of the ceramic substrate results in a much higher mean time between failure of that package compared to the consumer grade.

But they cost more....sorry... so no free ride here.
I've been doing some looking into it and I'm of the opinon that a large portion of the Sony Monochrome sensors are industrial grade. Using the IMX571 as an example, they seem to only make the Colour sensor in Consumer grade, and all the mono variants are industrial grade.

Like I said, It largey seems to be marketing hype to justify a premium price, at least for the IMX571 based mono cameras.

As you say though Peter, the IMX455 Sensor comes in both a mono and RGB as a consumer grade package, and only the mono variant seems to be available as industrial grade.

But don't just believe me, believe Sony:

Sony Consumer Grade Sensors.

Sony Industrial Grade Sensors.

In the end, you're far more likely to upgrade, or other components will give out before the sensor itself dies. It's only worth specifying "industrial grade", if the rest of the materials and design can live up to that specification, which honestly, they probably can't.

Hence, marketing hype.