View Single Post
Old 26-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Thanks JA!
I thought the focal point should be the same between the D80 and the D810.
As for modification, both cameras were purchased used so I wouldn't know, the D810 more recently.

Quick edit I'm using live view/mirror lock up mode to alleviate a typical slightly clunky D810 mirror and an intervalometer to avoid shutter shake on a sturdy tripod so they aren't part of my issue mistaking vibration/shift/blur for focus.
And another two characters ".." so the edit will accept the change, that's confusing?
I know, I can't count.

I've looked at a video, adjusted a ring but poor eye sight doesn't help.
I tend to take a couple of snaps and run inside and shove the CF card into my computer to check the focus on my 27" monitor, it's so much easier than the small screen on the D810 (small for my eyes) and the viewfinder, that's like trying to discover a distant galaxy through a pin hole camera, lol.
Of course now that I've started playing with the ring inside the lens which changes the focus the weather has turned sour with expected snow today/tonight.
If nothing else it's good sleeping weather and I've decide after being awaken early by a neighbour wanting a lift (after less than 2 hours sleep), I'm going back to bed, it's a problem for another day.

Though I have thought about putting a series of red marker spots around the perimeter of the focus ring at equal distances and shoot an image at each spot as I change through the focus range and take an equivalent number of images as red spots then compare them on the computer until I find the best (right or nearest) focal point. Then it appears to be a simple matter of changing the focus ring marker to represent focus at infinity so I don't have to play around and guess in the dark (according to a video I saw).

All of my other lenses (mostly genuine Nikon) focus at infinity exactly at the infinity mark, right in the middle of the twisted 8. This makes focusing easy, even with a few lenses with the capacity to go to infinity and beyond (Buzz Lightyear?), it's still easy to set exact focus in the house before I venture out into our cold nights (below zero currently).
I just have to remember to put my heater band on the lens because fog and ice doesn't help with focusing, or image quality.

I guess I should be happy because it's been so long since we've even had clear skies with the constant rain for way too long.

Last edited by Leo.G; 26-05-2023 at 12:49 PM.