View Single Post
Old 08-05-2023, 05:52 AM
glend (Glen)

Many folks have had to deal with inconsiderate neighbors and similiar light intrusion, just ask Allan Meehan about his near identical problem.
1. Brisbane is probably the worse light polluted place in Australia. There is no policy that respects a residents rights in relation to light intrusion. Have a look at the global light pollution map to see the extent of the problem in your area.
2. Attempts to block that light, with tarps, black cloth etc can result in little more than a neighbourhood eyesore and bring conflicts. Most people see lights at night as equating to security. Trees such as Leighton Green conifer hedges can help alot, I have a high hedge of seven of them and they work, but it has taken seven years to get to the stage where they are highly effective ( but in my case the only light is a street light a couple of hundred metres away).
3. Hedges, blocking tarps, etc do not stop light scatter, and reflection, as you can see on the colorblind shed roof in your photo.
4. Two suggestions: ask the neighbor to put a timer on that light, or a sensor to activate it if an intruder is detected in there yard (not yours). Some people may respond well, others go feral and see a chance to destroy your dreams and put up more or just ignore you.
5. Most successful strategy, switch to narrowband imaging, specifically Ha band, it maybe the only part of the spectrum unaffected.
6. Move. Don't laugh, I know of one person in Newcastle who did exactly that. Moving is a valid option for some people, if you love astronomy, and if you do move, get out of Brisbane all together if possible. Buy an acerage west of the range, or a weekend retreat if you can. Alternative might be to simply be satisfied with dark site trips away from Brisbane, an that includes the entire corridor from the Sunshine coast to Tweed river.
Good luck