View Single Post
Old 21-01-2023, 08:43 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hello,

I'm seeing an odd looking problem on all of my flats using some older grear that has not been used for some time. The illumination is from a Gemini Snap-Cap at 5% brightness. The flat illustrated was 3 seconds 1x1 from a Moravian G2-8300 through astronomic Deep Sky filters and an ONAG XT.

The sample is from 30 frames created in CCDStack, bias subtracted. The individual flats also indicate a faint striation that has become enhanced through the master flat creation. All the flats, including ha, show this pattern but blue the least (with a longer exposure).

I suspect the Snap-Cap might be responsible but never noticed this in the past. I will take some flats using a different light source. In the meantime, has anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks,
Peter
Hi Peter, problems with vertical banding in bias frames when using the QSI683 (which has the KAF8300 sensor) have been reported for some time. I am wondering if your flats issue could be coming from the same thing.

My QSI683 does suffer from this but the banding doesn’t make its way through the processing workflow so I don’t worry about it. I purchased my QSI camera in 2015 and I would have been using it for a couple of years before I noticed tha banding. I did do some research research at the time which indicated that a firmware upgrade was available and even went as far as downloading the new firmware. I didn’t install it though as there was a high probability of turning the camera into a brick so I left it. I’m on my iPad now so when I get back to my PC I will see if I can dust off the information that I have.

FWIW, here are a couple of links to some forum posts that discuss the vertical banding issue. May, or may not, be related to your problem but worth checking out all the same.

Cloudy nights

Star Gazers Lounge

Clear skies,
Rodney