Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2023, 07:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Aaaah yep!... the veritable Aussie star picket, good for many things! Excellent!

Mike
Hi Mike..try this..A decent ring of rocks with a small fire inside...make small "s" hooks from wire..an old coat hanger is great..cut up some meat into cubes ..I like 4 to 5 cm...marinate in your favorite stuff but make sure it includes one half a bottle of red wine..you drink the other while while marinating marinate over 24 hours and six bottles of red.wine..put chuncks of meat on hooks and hang well away from the fire on star pickets that have neat holes...burn off all their paint first..and not only do you get heat from the fire but the star pickets throw out heat as well. ..plenty of smoke is good..leave there all day having started early and sprinkle one eighth of a bottle of red every two hours or more if the meat looks dry otherwise drink that wine as well..and before hanging the meat...if lamb roll in rosemary if beef roll in crushed pepper...take off when the meat is black or sometime after you wake up ..not to charcoal but just from smoking all day... set aside to cool and serve with a good red wine...dont rush...if the fire dies down just add small amounts of fuel the ore s one the better.

So got the star pickets thing hammered down after a great deal of effort...now have to add four more long star pickets driven so only a foot of them is out of the ground..there will be nine feet of star pickets from top to where they end some five foot below ground level..lay a cross of two star pickets at the base raised off the ground and wired to the star pickets that hold the bolts...and drive short star pickets that join up with the cross four at angles of 45 degrees..wire them together..cover all in dry concrete then add form work on top and fill it with concrete, add cut up drum as form work above the floor level and another pipe section to make it look nice add more concrete over everything..then get a squirty bottle and wet any concrete visable so it does not let dust go around the place...hit with squirty bottle each day for a week and then a couple of buckets of water over all that..then half a bottle of red wine and drink the remaining half...I have to pour it all over the concrete unfortunate as I don't drink.

I will add some photos if I remember...

We did a lot of tidy up today adding insulation foam and enclosing a large gap between the roof and it's rail.this is somewhat a big deal as this is where work had got to when I first had to go to hospital and I could never get back to working on this aspect...but all good now..just received an Email that all the gear has been shipped so the pier will be finished just in time.. everything you need for a narrow band set up .And RBG.well all the seven usual filters and filter wheel , mono camera, OAG to trial, guide camera, Asiair, EAF,

.I will put all this on the new ZWO mount and use the eight inch scope...so that will be four independent units so when there is a good night I should get plenty of data...a d get to bed early as now that I am old I find a couple of all nighters is just too much for me...

I added a sign on the door saying "Glen and Peter Observatory" in recognition of their input..Glen put me onto the observatory ( and my red car) and the 115 mm refractor and a great little guitar ..so much I can never thank him enough...and Peter is my assistant who saved the place after me being many months in hospital and bed ridden..things had gone so far downhill that I doubt I could have recovered...and almost every week we work on the observatory ..like the gate motor project..it may be corny but I want their names on the door...

Anyways it is all mostly done ...although we are now working out how to line it with ply to make it look nice..there is so much that is ruff but it works and frankly it saved my life as thinking of how I would build it gave me a reason to keep going and trust me no one will ever know how tuff it was..And still is really...but having something to keep you interested got me thru...remember I ,most 30 % of my body weight and months went by where everyone though I was finished...not me however...the RASA near sent me bats but now I have given up mono with it life is much better...

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 18-01-2023 at 09:09 PM.