View Single Post
Old 21-12-2022, 01:08 AM
Camissa (Ecki)

Quote:
The Baader fluid (that Peter referred to) doesn't seem that special when you look at the ingredients: 40% water, 35% 1-Propanol, 25% Ethanol.
I think the formula for Optical Wonder is wrong, it must be demineralised water, 2-propanol (isopropanol) and ethanol!

Just water with 2-propanol works well too for the the stuff that we usually need to remove. The best tissue for cleaning are indeed eye-cotton pads from the pharmacy. Those have no chemicals inside.

It is important to carefully remove any dust a lens blower first and then use a lot of cotton with a little of the cleaning solution. I do a small wipe while turning the cotton - so that there is no chance of any dirt being smeared over the lens! Take fresh cotton, a small wipe, fresh cotton etc etc, from the middle of the lens in circles to the outside. You want to use a lot of cotton to exclude even the faintest possibility of wiping the lens when there could be the smallest grain of sand in the cotton! Don't worry about any cotton stuck at the lens, remove that later with the lens blower.

I learned this from the Zeiss technicians for high end research microscopes and have performed this countless times on very expensive optics.