View Single Post
Old 20-12-2022, 04:02 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Reverse-osmosis water? I suppose it sounds more technical than distilled water. As for using shellite - not something I'd suggest to anyone, it is a fairly strong solvent. Windex - be careful as it generally contains ammonia, which can be problematic with some materials.

Just some idle thoughts.
Distilled water is made by evaporation, so it would have been misleading to call it that. Deionised or demineralised water can be made through a few different processes - kudos to Bintel for being clear about how their water is made.

The Baader fluid (that Peter referred to) doesn't seem that special when you look at the ingredients: 40% water, 35% 1-Propanol, 25% Ethanol.

Threads on optics cleaning over on CN are interesting in that opinions are very varied, including on ammonia - some say not to use it - some say it's fine. I've been intrigued for quite a while at some of the diametrically opposed views from apparently quite knowledgable people. You should read the one about using acetone ... but I wouldn't use it, personally.

I wouldn't use Shellite either, but Peter suggested it was in Bintel fluid - it isn't.