View Single Post
Old 17-12-2021, 01:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve used the Synscan polar alignment routine since day one ( 5 years ) on various mounts and scopes ( mainly newts ) and it’s worked well as you don’t need a view of the SCP. I just use my old DSLR in the newt connected to BYEOS ( alignment tool ) and de focus the alignment Star into a donut for accurate centering. The live view on my DSLR is much better than my 2600MC Cmos camera , there’s no lag or buffering, the Star centering is instantaneous.
I usually require 2 or 3 iterations to get below 1 arc minute which is satisfactory for PHD2
Back to your original question, something interesting I found in regard to PA , if I redo my polar alignment say a day or two later (out of curiosity ) the error is slightly different to the original Polar alignment error
Because I’m using the main OTA for PA , variances in atmospheric conditions and optical train will affect your PA error to some degree
I try not to get get too wound up about PA as PHD2 will guide satisfactorily with a PA error of up to 5 or 6 arc minutes. If fact the PHD2 developer Bruce Waddington mentioned not to be obsessive over PA error , it won’t make you guide any better

Cheers
Martin