View Single Post
Old 27-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Stephanie,

You will still have some coma in the corners of your field using f5 or f6 but at this stage you could image without a coma corrector and purchase it later on

My advice for a beginner, since your heading for a newtonian reflector imaging set up ( like I started with and still use ) would be the following options -

Option 1

6" f5 Bintel Newtonian reflector or 6" f6 Bintel Newtonian reflector ( have Don replace the existing single speed focuser with a dual speed focuser which is a must for imaging, he replaced the focuser on my 6" f6 to dual speed for a small additional cost )

Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5 or Saxon HEQ5

Guide scope - 50mm or 60mm ( I use the Orion 60mm with helical focuser )

Guide camera ZWOASI120MM-S USB3
Main imaging camera - any second hand APS- C DSLR like a Canon 450D, 80D or 600D etc... You will need a Canon EOS T Ring adapter
Use a DSLR to get some experience for a year or two and then maybe progress to a dedicated CMOS cooled camera

Option 2
Same Telescopes , cameras etc...as above but with a bigger more superior mount to future proof your imaging for years and years to come
Mount- Skywatcher EQ6-R pro

Option 3 ( future proof option )

8' f5 Bintel Newtonian reflector

Mount - Skywatcher EQ6-R pro

Guide scope - Orion 60mm with helical focuser
Guide camera ZWOASI120MM-S USB3

Same imaging camera

Warning: Astrophotography is a money pit , so be prepared. The above set ups are under $5K which is roughly entry level costs ( even with just a good DSLR, tracker and Lenses etc..for wide field work will cost you up to $5k and more )

Hope the above is helpful

Maybe other folk have different suggestions and advice

Cheers
Martin