View Single Post
Old 20-01-2021, 01:24 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

L-eXtreme & OSC experiment

Amusing myself with a borrowed ASI533 MC and Optolong L-Extreme filter last night (Thanks Londoner!)

I took some images of the Tarantula (Ignoring the negative influence of the moon) through my 14" Meade SCT with Hyperstar before the clouds rolled in. The camera was guided but no darks or flats were applied - Basically, the images are just how they came of SharpCap using live stacking.

First up was a straight colour image with UV/R cut in place. Transparency was less than perfect and the stars were soft, and after 45 mins the detail wasn't really developing so I gave up.

I replaced the UV/IR Cut for the L-eXtreme and was instantly happy with the detail coming through and tightness of the stars, but needless to say, not best pleased with the over worked green pixels basking in all that OIII! The clouds rolled in after 17 mins and that was the end of the night.

So I decided to overlay the colour from the first image onto the detail in Photoshop, I often borrow colour from other images to make my monochrome images more appealing, and have essentially created an OIII, Ha and RGB image with only one filter change. TBH, I think it looks very promising as a technique and deserves a little more care in the acquisition next time.

Any one tried similar? I still find it conceptually odd to use a narrowband filter with a colour camera, but hey, it seems to work
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TN Colour 45min.jpg)
204.1 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (TN L-Extreme 17 Min.jpg)
123.1 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (TN Combined.jpg)
189.6 KB103 views