View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ahh the ol' meade/celestron debate Just think holden/ford I'm a Meade supporter to the core (with the possible exception of the Celestron 9.25 sct).

I'm not sure which OTAs the LX90s are using these days, possibly still the old type, not that there was anything wrong with them, I have the 8" and it still does the job for me. The LX200s are now "supposedly" of a Ritchey Cretien design. This would be more of a benefit for imagers than visual users. I used to have an LX200gps and I really enjoyed the simplicity of using it, I'd never used an LX90. Now the LX90 comes with GPS I don't see what the difference will be.

As for a refractor; it would take a very strong arguement to go past the Orion/Saxon ED80. This little refractor is a fantastic performing scope for image quality for its price. I've tried the similar scope in the 100mm and I wasn't quite as impressed though I didn't do any imaging through it so it's only a visual comparison.

If you have a look in the Buy, Sell and Trade there is an LX90 with a load of gear going for a very reasonable price, and it's quite handy to Brisbane.