View Single Post
Old 16-03-2020, 02:44 PM
HenryNZ

Visual Astronomy for an imager and with the kids

I am mainly an imager but while I am busying myself with taking images I am keen to do a bit of visual myself and more importantly with my kids (9 and 8, the youngest 4 won't be involved) to get my kids into this wonderful hobby.

To this end I have acquired a Skywatcher 127 Mak which is mounted on a DM4 with push-to via Sky Safari. However I think the FOV of the 127 Mak is really too small and the need to constantly push the telescope to keep things in view is too hard for a visual newbie like me, let alone for the kids.

I don't really want to change into an EQ mount or a goto AltAz mount because by the time I polar align (or star align in the case of a goto altaz mount), the kids would have long lost interest. Therefore if possible I would like to stay with a push-to DM4 which my kids seem to be able to operate.

I wonder if I should trade my 127Mak for something that has a wider FOV, and if so what should I go for? I am hoping for something with similar second hand value as a 127Mak so I can do a direct trade without spending much more money if at all. Obviously it needs to be mountable on a DM4.

Any advice? Or am I better off selling the DM4 and the 127 Mak, and just do some EAA with my cameras....(more of my comfort zone)???