View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Red pixels smeared across sub frames

I was imaging NGC 300 last night with my 8” f5 newt on an EQ6-R mount , everything was going well with 5 minute subs , Canon 600D unmodded DSLR was running ok this time of year at 25 degrees , good PHD2 guiding at 0.80 arc sec , good focus and framing spot on. Got to frame 27 until I hit the meridian, EQMOD automatically put my scope back into park position, I then slewed up to NGC 300 again on the west side , once again good guiding , good focus and framed up well. Then I experienced something I’ve never seen before in 2 years of imaging with this camera , my first 5 minute sub was smeared with red pixels across at least 75% of the frame , histogram showed green and blue ok tall and thin together but red was low and fat to the right hand side. The star field was ok still nice and round and tight and could just make out the galaxy in the background
So tried another 5 minute sub , same thing , tried a 4 minute and 3 minute sub , same issue again but not as severe with the red pixel swarm
The Canon DSLR sensor temperature was exactly the same as on the previous 27 x 5 minute subs on the east side
At first I thought it’s smoke haze but causing the red to blow out but it can’t be as the first 27 subs were fine. Then I thought the camera sensor is stuffed ( maybe ?? )
Camera appeared to be operating ok , no warnings or codes
It was 1.00am and fighting to keep alert so I shut down and went to bed.
This morning I switched on the camera and it came on ok , took a few random shots in the morning without the lens , they were bleached out of course. Had to pack up and leave for Sydney
Any ideas what may have caused the red pixels smear ???
I won’t be using my scope and test my camera again until next week now.
Appreciate any advice on the above