View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
I take my hat off to you, and I don't consider myself a beginner, but have all but given up in my attempt to use my MacBook Pro at the mount (NEQ6).

I have used an ugly old windoze based PC at the mount for years, controlled the mount with EQMOD, and guided with PHD in it's various iterations, the latest being PHD2.

When I was gifted my sons dated but excellent MBP recently, I simply assumed it would be like most Mac stuff is, "easy as". I mean Nik even said this in #6 above. WRONG. I gave up after a while. I tried EQMAC to no avail, and even tried a bit of Kstars, Ekos, and even INDI, all went way over my head.

Admittedly I'm a bit older but man it isn't as plug and play as I'd hoped.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

Gary
Mac stuff is easier... generally speaking. After all, there are very few times one needs to load/update drivers and fiddle with all that crap (wasn't ASCOM supposed to fix all that for PC owners??). And speaking of ASCOM, why are they persisting with such out-dated tech? Isn't is about time they re-write that to be cross platform? I don't want to cause a Mac vs PC thing here, but it's almost 2020. Astro gear is really very one dimensional from a development perspective... I guess it must be the economics...there's not enough money in it for developers to really get their teeth into it (with the notable exception of smaller, dedicated people doing micro-projects - some admirable efforts there ala EQMac etc).