View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 12:31 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Just as an side, I saw a Hyundai Ioniq in traffic today, the first of those I have seen. IMO when you see brads like Hyundai and Nissan offering pure EV's in Australia, adoption rates are probably about to climb significantly. It helps that they have started to build EV's that just look like cars. IMO the problem with the Prius from day one has been Toyota's insistence on styling them as the visual equivalent of walking around in budgie smugglers screaming "Look at me, I have a PRIUS" The current one being largely as bad as the first. I don't want to drive a car that looks like a refugee from a 50's scifi movie with big lightning bolts painted all over it, if I buy one I just want to to look like a car but be powered differently. You wonder about the relevance of the Prius now you can buy a Corolla or Camry with that type of powertrain.

While either would need charging daily (The Leaf or Ioniq) both would be capable of being a pure commuter car for me right now. Give it some time when they are five to ten grand cheaper and they start to look seriously attractive.