View Single Post
Old 13-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Chris,

Quote:
"'cos it's somewhere to say you've bin!
Great story .
Starting out, it's great to have a list of easy to find, bright objects hey.
It feels like you're achieving at a quicker pace which is a big buzz when first using a telescope. And like you I enjoyed ticking off, it was very rewarding. I've listed below a few more objects to add to your list .

Hi Michael,
It's unfortunate isn't it that Ruby Crucis doesn't get more of a mention. Is it because people think oh carbon star whoopie ? . But once seen for oneself it's something so special and it deserves to be grouped in with the rest of the eye candy objects, that's for sure. I really hope more people will come to know this beautiful star. It's so great that you show it off, all the best on your observing night .

Seeing as some people are enjoying the list, how about I add a few more? I'll include the GC I mentioned in a previous post seeing as it's so weird , and three really gorgeous star clusters listed below which are all visible now:

NGC3201 - Globular Cluster.
Very interesting GC like none other I've seen yet. Instead of being a condensed ball like most globs are, it's loosely scattered, as if it's been blown up and smashed to pieces!
Constellation: Vela

Collinder 399 - The Coat Hanger Cluster / Brocchi's Cluster.
I'm not kidding- it *really* does look like a coat hanger!
Constellation: Vulpecula

M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster.
Huge spray of bright stars, very impressive.
Constellation: Scutum
http://earthsky.org/clusters-nebulae...by-eagles-tail

Mel. 111.
Large open cluster.
Constellation: Coma Berenices.
and while there ....
It'd be interesting to see if through 6" and 8" apertures if this is visible.... the crazy awesome galaxy lineup of Markarian's Chain. It's visible with my 10" through light pollution. And pay close attention to "The Eyes" in that chain which are interacting galaxies. They look spooky as they really do look like a set of eyes; visible in the same FOV (field of view) of the eyepiece with no stars between and around... just eyes in the dark! It's one of my favourite patches of sky. Do some googling on the super giant galaxy M87 there- it's very special.