View Single Post
Old 13-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Here is the question: i need to find one scope for my declining years that works well for imaging and deliveres outstanding performance within the constraints outlined below. The plan is to reduce my present scope collection to One.
  • Must be a very capable as an astrograph, as 95%+ use will be imaging due to reducing vision capability.
    Must weigh no more than 12kg for easy of carry and low stress guiding when image train equipped on NEQ6. Note i had considered replacing the mount but decided to spend the money on a scope that works within the mounts restrictions.
    Mid-range focal length, say 600-1000mm,
    Fast if possible, no slower than f6-7.
    True colour rendition, with no fringing or bloating, i don't have a design preference other than no RCs (ie, refractor, newt, etc.).
    Aperture, bigger is always better.
    Must be both narrowband and broadband performer, thus no achros (i already have one of those).
    Must be cost effective, not interested in paying a premium for a collectable brand name, function and performance for the $.
    Budget, would like to stay under $3000 total spend, and if flatteners, etc are required they must fit with budget, and happy to source from anywhere.

I have a short list of possibles but i want other opinions.
Let the suggestions flow. Thanks for looking.
guessing the MN is too heavy?

Suggest a Skywatcher CF F4 200mm with a Paracorr and a Moonlite focuser. Use your 1600 camera so that you can guide with a guidescope and take short subs - would be a killer system. Oh, and cover that black CF dew magnet OTA with reflective tape to remove dew issues - won't be pretty, just effective.