View Single Post
Old 25-12-2015, 11:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
I don't want my comments to in any way sound like a criticism of David. In fact, I quite agree with the general ideas of his as best I understand them. However, in reading through these comments I am struck by the "idea" that the Australian astrophotography scene is rather dominated by his stature (which is certainly well deserved) and philosophy. Coming from a lifetime in the classical music profession I can possibly offer a perspective gained from having been a competitor (up to age 30) and then a judge at an international level. Firstly, it would be quite unheard of to have a single judge at any competition of import, let alone having the same judge year after year. For a budding muscian - and let me assure you that there is tremendous variety in musical taste and skill; as much or more so than in astrophotography - having one's musical life and possible consequent success in the profession "dictated" to by a single judge would be unthinkable and terrible for the profession. Again, I want to say this is not really about David, a person I have very much enjoyed meeting and whose views I respect greatly. It really is about finding different ways to recognize work presented in diverse ways right here in Australia.

Peter
Well said Peter. I was fortunate enough to watch and listen to David Malin present at the inaugural 2013 AAIC and have the utmost respect for what he has achieved professionally and how well he communicated and shared his ideas on astrophotography. I do wonder however, as this obsession (hobby?) of ours matures if there is a need for something like the Greenwich astrophotographer of the year awards in Australia. There really should be a panel of judges. After all, we need apprentices in training with David if nothing else

Hmmm. Perhaps the largest amateur astronomy forum in Australia should host this, rather than us all having to drive to "The Dish" every year?

I'm not seriously suggesting an end to "The Malins". Just some serious competition.