View Single Post
Old 25-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I'm sorry... so how exactly should one read the following?

when you then go on and win the competition..?

Aaaaand.. how many people do you think have been in a position to get such intimate personal coaching form the (one and only) judge of the competition?

Just interested, that's all

Mike
Personal coaching. LOL. Wow that is stretching it a bit far. Come on really Mike?

How many people have listened to David say what he likes and dislikes in an image over the years at CWAS dinners? Many of which I have never attended because we live so damn far away from Parkes, not like some who live just down the road as it were. Those people who have gone regularly have had the advantage of listening to many of David's ideas, I guess one or two of them listened, who knows? They might have won too. I was doing research on what he was looking for in images presented to him and why he thought that. It's not a secret. He even gives hints at speaking engagements or even at AAIC2013. Those that were there remember his opinions on saturation.

This year alone I saw him tell people at a talk he gave at the ASSA general meeting on the "Colour of the Night Sky" that he does not like the colour magenta in galaxies. He was fairly adamant about the colour of stars. He even gave image examples.

From what I hear he made statements of the centaurus A images at this years CWAS David Malin Awards dinner. I am sure people asked him some more questions after the awards too. So did they get some "personal coaching" too? Should you interrogate those people too about any personal advantage you perceived or try to imply exists?

Just remember this, the competition is totally blind. David does not know who has produced the images he sees, he just picks the images he likes and does not pick the ones he does not like. Bottom line he liked my M42 image the year I won, he picked it out because it stood out to him.