Thread: Orion Nebula
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2015, 01:39 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Relax Billi. I suggest you get your RDF working again, know how to use it without giving it much thought (especially in combination with a chart and a bit of starhopping), then decide whether you really must have a finderscope on the Heritage. If you know where your target is, what you do is find the general field using the RDF even if you don't see your actual target, then pick up the object in your lowest power eyepiece. Most anything worth looking at in the Heritage (a nifty scope I hear) should be findable that way. Not sure what your current low power EP is, but a 32 Plössl for example (about 20x in the Heritage) should work very well. Attach one of the filters mentioned earlier in this thread to the same eyepiece for spectacular low power views of Eta Car.

My 10" dob has an RDF only and so far has not left me wanting more. The small refractors are their own finders so nothing gets attached to them (the bigger one has 570mm focal length). I use a RACI on my 8" dob, but only because it came with it.
Thanks for the heads up I have a whole range of Meade eps, but find myself reaching for the 32mm rather than the 40mm. It was what I used when I stumbled across the orion nebula. I would like to get a filter sometime, but I'm only new to it all so there's so much for me to look at without needing a nebula filter.