View Single Post
Old 13-09-2015, 10:58 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I actually did temple the black plastic frame too. I pulled the whole lot out. Aa filter, uv ir block, the clip frame, the black plastic frame. Everything. Obviously, the camera will be more sensitive to light that you can't see. Possibly light entering the viewfinder assembly.

I've removed the mirror and completely blacked out the viewfinder prism so there is no chance of leaks there.
Well it's a mystery to me, I can only report what I found. I did test the camera in a black cloth bag, and the viewfinder window is normally taped up as well. I suppose it is possible that the sensor is getting some sort of signal from nearby components and representing that as light - is that possible. Is it possible that the cooling components of my cold finger mod are impacting the image. The sensor was running at -10C, with the copper finger pressed against it's back. On the camera there is the TEC running via a remote PWM controller and the fan motor is onboard as well. If for example, the sensor was unevenly cooled it seems feasible that it may represent light colour in different ways. The area to the lower left of the frame is the side the cold finger enters the area behind the sensor, but it is well coated in thermal paste. I suppose that the presence of the AA glass in front of the sensor could be helping ( like double glazing) to hold the cold into the sensor surface area and by removing it I created an uneven temperature gradient on the sensor surface that may yield different colours, if that's possible. I am open to suggestions.